Saturday August 15, 2015
SHEFFIELD emerged with a dramatic 42-41 away win over Berwick – but their Shielfield Park heroics potentially came at a cost.

Young reserve Arthur Sissis – who enjoyed arguably the best night of his career so far to lead the Tigers to victory – suffered a possible broken collarbone in a nasty heat 15 spill.

The talented Australian had been in fine form throughout the evening, helping to cover for an off night for David Bellego and the withdrawal of Jason Garrity, who was battered and bruised after a heavy heat nine crash.

Sissis joined forces with Nicolai Klindt in the penultimate race to ensure Sheffield entered the final race with a slender one point lead.

Yet the lower order man was unable to avoid Thomas Jorgensen as the Berwick star fell whilst leading the last-heat decider, leaving him set to travel to hospital back in Sheffield for further tests on his collarbone.

With Sissis receiving treatment the meeting was subsequently abandoned due to curfew ensuring the Window Centre Tigers held on for a hard-fought victory to jump back up to fourth in the Premier League table and all but assure their play-off place.

Co-promoter Peter Mole was delighted to see his side emerge with a stunning win on their travels – but he admits he was left concerned about the cost of the victory.

Mole said: “It was a meeting we had always hoped to win, but it was very tough and the lead changed hands several times.

“A few riders had off nights, but the team managed to pull together when it mattered to make sure we just about edged it.

“It was a real blow to see Arthur (Sissis) crash out at the end after having such a great night, and fingers crossed his collarbone isn’t broken as he fears it may be.

“We send our best wishes to all the riders from both sides who withdrew with injuries, and we also wish Berwick all the best for the rest of the season as they have had a tough time with injuries just like we have.”

Whilst Sissis proved the Tigers’ trump card at reserve, guesting No.1 Craig Cook also notched double figures as he broke the Berwick track record on his way to the first of three race wins in heat one.

Jason Garrity also recorded two victories before his night was brought to a premature end, whilst Paco Castagna added a crucial 5+2 including 5-1s alongside Cook and Sissis in heats five and eight respectively.

Despite previously enduring a night to forget, Nicolai Klindt delivered a pivotal heat 14 win which eventually proved decisive whilst David Bellego and Josh Bates made useful contributions despite difficult evenings.

Sheffield will now be hoping for positive news on Sissis as they prepare to return to action at Owlerton against Edinburgh on Thursday (7.30).

BERWICK 41: Thomas Jorgensen 13, Kevin Doolan 12+1, Alex Edberg 10+3, Fernando Garcia 4+1, Mathias Thornblom 2+1, Keiron Douglas 0, Liam Carr 0, Claus Vissing R/R.

SHEFFIELD 42: Arthur Sissis 13+1, Craig Cook 10, Jason Garrity 6, Paco Castagna 5+2, Nicolai Klindt 3, Josh Bates 3, David Bellego 2.

Abandoned after 14 heats - Curfew - RESULT STANDS

Share This:   Facebook Twitter